Wednesday 15 August 2012

A blob of blue plasticine


For some reason last night I decided to log on to myspace. This is something I've not done for about 4 years and was surprised it still let me. Originally I did it with the thought of closing my account down; what it did was brought back lots of memories about projects I was involved in before I was, and just as I became, a teacher and all the cool stuff we did and I thought I would blog some of it here just because :)
Several years ago I was very lucky to be involved in a Lottery funded project known as the Arts Meets Environment Festival (or AMEF for short).
Amef_collage
This project was set up for young people in my local area to provide all sorts of fabulous things to do: filming workshops, music workshops, drama, clay and pottery, and even organising our own music festival. It was fab and I got a lot of experiences I wouldn't have if it had not existed. 
On one of the days we went out filming/photographing we were given a blob of blue plasticine. The premise was that the vibrant blue was not a colour naturally found in the environment and you had to make something, photograph it and send it back to the artist. We got a little bit carried away with our blue blobs and here is the resulting video I made last night from just some of the photos I found:
[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lkx4UDOZ4I?wmode=transparent]
It got me thinking what would happen if we did the same with children, or what other things we could do it with and how it could be turned into a greater learning opportunity.
We had many fabulous days out learning new things with AMEF; sadly it no longer runs as it didn't get any further funding beyond it's first three years which is a great shame as young people need projects like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment